About Richard Prideaux
Richard Prideaux is one of the founding partners of Original Outdoors and the lead instructor for Original Outdoor Professional.
His family come from a mix of farmers, gamekeepers and landowners that taught him from an early age the importance of being able to read the landscape, identify useful plants and that being outdoors was probably better than being indoors.
This became a childhood of spending hours getting lost in woods and fields, lighting fires and exploring the coastline of South-West England.
An early career in working as a freelance Mountain Leader led to more work as an expedition leader, event and remote-area medic and delivering training for companies across the U.K.
In 2006 he became a member of the local volunteer mountain SAR team, eventually becoming Deputy Team Leader of the team after time as the Training Officer. The final year was spent as the regional Operations Officer, representing the mountain rescue teams of NWMRA at inter-agency incidents and large-scale training exercises. He was also involved in training at a national level, and with the development of the MREW National Training Day.
Within Original Outdoors he has developed a range of training courses, both for the general public and for private clients. Alongside this Original Outdoors developed a commercial foraging business with Rhug Organic Estate, supplying ethically-sourced wild food to restaurants around the world and working with chefs to develop new recipes and techniques.
In 2017, following the increase in demand for training in a wider range of subjects from our clients Richard helped develop the Environmental Survival Training (EST) Framework and the current range of courses.
Richard Prideaux lives with his family in North Wales.
Recent Instagram Posts
Please wait a few minutes before you try again.
Media Productions and Projects
- The Unexplainers - BBC Radio and TV/Zipline Creative, multiple episodes
- Celebrity Carry On Barging - Channel 5 TV/Spun Gold TV
- Gardio a mwy - S4C TV/Cwmni Da
- Sportscheck - Outdoor clothing shoot/Natural Born Explorers
- Mitsubishi Motors (UK) - automotive location shoot/Harniman Photographer
- Olympics TV Project - Olympics website/The Moment
- How To Look Good Naked - Channel 4 TV/Maverick Television
- Y Gemau Gwyllt - S4C TV/Boom Cymru
- Cotswold Outdoors - Outdoor clothing shoot/Cotswold Outdoors
- Great British Menu - BBC TV/Optomen TV
- Extreme Endurance Race to the Pole - Channel 5 TV/Zig Zag Productions
- Coast and Country - ITV TV/Freeform Productions